Author Archives: Lissa Halen

Column: Off to college

Concordia College that is, for a little Eastchester, Tuckahoe and Bronxville history. The noted novelist and historian Shelby Foote had a thought about going off to college, “A university is just a group of buildings gathered around a library.” The buildings of Concordia College line White Plains Road near the boundaries of Tuckahoe and Bronxville. […]

Column: All Aboard

“The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man.” –Thomas Jefferson, 1802 Nowhere may that be more evident than in the Town of Eastchester and its two incorporated villages of Tuckahoe and Bronxville. It all began with the creation in […]

Column: To Hutchinson’s house we go

Over the river and through the woods to Hutchinson’s house we go. Anne Hutchinson’s house, that is. That’s where our trek through Eastchester’s 350 years of history will take us this week, from the southern, not-so-scenic tip of the river that bears her name to the northern, scenic tip of this same river. In reality […]

Column: Walk this way…through history, part I

Melville understood. He penned the phrase, “Meditation and water are wedded forever,” in his epic novel “Moby Dick.” Along the usually gentle Bronx River, we can add history and pleasure to being forever wedded to water. From the Native Americans who cultivated its fertile banks and fished its plentiful waters to today’s bicycle Sundays, the […]

Column: Where the bell tolls

The bell tolls at St. Paul’s Church, right here in Eastchester. Actually it tolls in what was once a part of Eastchester. As Eastchester celebrates its 350 years of history, it would be a great time to visit not just the historic bell but the entire six acres of St. Paul’s Church. St. Paul’s has […]

Column: A block of stone

Michelangelo was partially correct when he declared, “Every block of stone has a statue inside it.” He may have added, “Every block of stone has a building waiting to be built with it ”as that was true in Tuckahoe. Marble was discovered in this village in the early 1830s and was a thriving industry there […]

Column: Begin at the beginning

“21. That one day every spring be chosen for the destroying of rattlesnakes.” This is one of the founding tenets of Eastchester, written along with 25 other ones in 1665, just a year after the town was founded. It all began 350 years ago in 1664 and Eastchester, along with its villages of Tuckahoe and […]